Murray Goulburn's Leongatha site manufactures butter, spreads and creams, UHT products, Casein and Caseinates, milk protein concentrate, whey powders and lactoferin.
Lycopodium has undertaken numerous projects which have involved upgrades of various services to the Leongatha plant. These include upgrades to steam, chilled water, cooling water, CIP, effluent treatment plant DAF and electricity co-generation plant, as well as water savings initiatives.
Lycopodium worked closely with Murray Goulburn to develop client briefs and then produce preliminary engineering, capital cost estimates and schedules. Upon capital approval, Lycopodium produced detailed engineering designs, schedules, chaired or attended HAZOP studies, and undertook procurement and project management. Lycopodium supervised contractors on site and provided necessary technical inspections, engineering support and commissioning personnel. All projects were managed to minimise impact to production and plant downtime by scheduling and staging works to meet shut down deadlines.
The scope of project works included:
- Concept design and process flow diagram for expansion of main steam distribution system showing current and future steam load requirements.
- Installation of electricity co-generation plant, including steam turbine reducing high pressure steam to low pressure steam. Design and installation of all steam and condensate pipework including low pressure header, new pipe bridge and strengthening of existing pipe racks and roofs.
- Design and installation of 2 new cooling towers, including associated pipework distribution, pumps and chemical dosing system.
- Design and installation of new chiller water distribution system and de-bottling of existing pipework infrastructure.
- Upgrade of effluent treatment plant DAF system to meet name plate flow rates. Modification of effluent pipework to enable replacement of tank roofs and provide more flexible effluent pipework network.
- Bio-Gas engine commissioning assistance.
- Upgrade of Butter Room CIP set including new PLC and automation.