Lycopodium was engaged by Hydrodec to design a process plant to regenerate used transformer oil back to better than its original state, based on a 1 tonne per day pilot plant developed by the CSIRO.
Lycopodium’s scope was to develop the necessary design to produce a plant capable of producing 24 tonnes per day of regenerated transformer oil.
The plant operates at a pressure of 40 bar and utilizes hydrogen and ammonia as inputs to the process.
The process involved:
- hydrogenation of the input oil using a catalyst
- neutralization of the acids produced with ammonia
- separation of the light hydrocarbon produced during the hydrogenation
- washing of the neutralized acids from the oil
- separation of the wash waters from the oil.
The process allows high quality transformer oil, which was previously discarded as fuel oil after a single use, to be continuously reused.